Benefits of the Paleo Diet
Focusing on vegetables, meat, fish, eggs, fruit, nuts and seeds, it’s no surprise that the Paleo diet has so many positive effects on one’s health and wellbeing.
Below is a list of known benefits that I have collated from my reader’s and program’s participants, existing studies, books and articles. I talk about paleo as a nutrient-dense diet, its effect on weight loss and digestion, share my personal experience and even look at some side effects you should know about.
One of the misconceptions about the Paleo diet is that because you eliminate things like grains, legumes and most dairy, you are going to miss out on nutrients. On the contrary, by consuming more nutrient-dense animal protein, seafood and eggs and replacing refined pasta, bread and rice with more vegetables, healthy fats, nuts, seeds, berries and fruit, you are actually going to consume more minerals and vitamins.
Here are the most common benefits based on testimonials and feedback from my readers over the last few years.
- Increased and more stable energy levels
- Improved sleep
- Clearer skin and healthier looking hair
- Mental clarity
- Improved mood and attitude
- Improvements in those suffering depression or anxieties
- Less or no bloating, decreased gas
- Sustained weight loss
- Muscle growth; increased fitness
- Lowered risk of heart disease, diabetes and cancer
- Higher immune function and a general feeling of well being
- Improved glucose tolerance; decreased insulin secretion and increased insulin sensitivity
- Improved lipid profiles
- Healthier gut flora
- Better absorption of nutrients from food
- Reduced allergies
- Paleo diet is anti-inflammatory, most people experience a reduction of pain associated with inflammation
- Improvements in those with respiratory problems such as asthma