Prohibited foods in Keto Diet
The ketogenic diet is a very low carb, high fat diet. It involves drastically reducing carbohydrate intake and replacing it with fat. This reduction in carbs puts your body into a metabolic state called ketosis. When this happens, your body becomes incredibly efficient at burning fat for energy. It also turns fat into ketones in the liver, which can supply energy for the brain.
For this diet restrictions are made on many foods, below we show you a list of all those prohibited foods in the Keto diet.
- Sugars and everything that includes sugar. From sugar as a sweetener to sugary drinks, buns, commercial ice creams, sauces, commercial snacks, cookies, etc., they are not suitable for a keto diet because they are a source of carbohydrates, and of course, unhealthy as well.The vegan diet, in addition to playing its role in reducing the risks of certain diseases, can also help reduce the onset of migraine attacks. Migraines are often related to our diets, and food is a common trigger. Foods like chocolate and cheese are also common culprits. Vegan diets, especially organic ones, are much purer and less likely to trigger migraine attacks.
- Cereals and derivatives. No rice, oats, breads, barley, rye or pseudo-cereals like quinoa are allowed in the keto diet, we should even avoid whole grains.
- Legumes and legume derivatives such as soy flour, textured soy or chickpea flours, or vegan "cheeses" made from legumes are also not accepted in the keto diet due to their richness in carbohydrates, except for peanuts, which have very little quantity. carbohydrates and rather provides protein and fat.
- Alcoholic drinks. Because alcoholic beverages provide ethanol that is used as a priority as an energy source, its intake hinders ketosis or what is the same, the burning of fats that is the ultimate goal of the keto diet.
- Milk, vegetable drinks or sweetened yogurts. Believe it or not, milks and yogurts, even plant milks, can be severely limited or banned entirely on the keto diet. Above all, sugary alternatives or flavors that have the highest proportion of hydrates are not allowed. Milk and yogurt without sugar and natural can be included in small proportions. Although the dairy that always predominates in keto diets is cheese in all its variants.